SAINT JAY AND SAINT PETER:
I've been a Christian for over 40 years and God has been patiently working with me, teaching me, training me, loving me. I emphasize "patiently" because, to be quite honest, I am usually a slow learner. This is where I want to begin because, even though I am a "saint", (I'll unpack the Theology behind that statement later) the outward appearance of that fact has had its good moments and bad. But God, Who is my Father (a discussion of this fact is forthcoming and will be an ever present theme) is busy making sure that the display of His life, the "saintly life" becomes more and more predominant before the eyes of the world of men. If someone where to ask me to compare my weaknesses with some biblical characters I would have to pick King David and the Apostle Peter. Both of these men, and that's what they were, just ordinary men, had strengths and weaknesses. Each week I will bring to our attention what these were, how God dealt with them, and how they responded to His working in them.
NOT ANOTHER RELIGIOUS BLOG:
Also, perhaps you think that this is just another "religious" blog. I don't know what your view of "religion" is, but I can tell you quite frankly that if a person thinks "religion" is all about living a self-righteous life and complying with all the "Thou shalt nots", then you couldn't be further from the truth.
My first task is to clarify what I mean when I say that I am a Christian:
WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN?
For years I competed in the world of men for money, honor, power and influence. I knew I would need these if I wanted to enjoy the pleasures of life as defined by my culture. However, I realized I would I never possess any of these to any appreciable amount, and that no matter how much of them I would possess, I would never have enough. The joy (if you can call it joy) and the pleasure (and there was pleasure) was always short lived and kept me striving for more. You might remember the refrain from the Rolling Stones, "I can't get no, sat-is-faction?" Well, you know what I mean. We all face this dilemma. If you're tired of chasing after these in your pursuit of happiness, if you have come to the realization that you will never find real purpose and meaning, real peace and joy by following such a course, then follow this blog and find an entirely new hope. Hope that brings real deliverance from this kind of life into one that is more wonderful than you could possibly imagine. This hope is found in relationship with Jesus Christ. A Christian is a human being who is in an eternal relationship with Jesus Christ, the Son of God. (We will look very closely into what all this means in several subsequent blog posts, so please be patient.)
The word "Christian" evokes so many different kinds of emotions. You hear the word used in a variety of settings and conversations, on television, in print, on the radio. You may have heard of Christian scandals relating to money, sex, power, and politics. And from these various sources you have come to some sort of conclusion about what a Christian is and what they are like. I'm asking for your patience here. Please try your best to set these aside while we look at why the noun "Christian" exists. What is its origin? Why is it used? What does it describe? Does our view of what we think it means align with the truth of its meaning?
Obviously, the noun, "Christian" has its origin in its root, "Christ". What is a "Christ"? The word is from the ancient Greek language, "Christos," and it means "anointed". This word, as used in the first century, referred to one who was chosen to deliver by being a great leader with great power and influence. To the Jews living in the first century it meant one who would deliver them from their enemies (Rome) and reestablish the Jewish nation as the leading nation of all the nations of the world. The Hebrew (the language of the Jews) equivalent of "Christos" is "Messiah". It was written in the ancient writings of the Torah (the Old Testament of the Bible) that a future Messiah was coming and he would be the deliverer and savior (one who would save) of the nation, Israel. The New Testament of the Bible, starting from the Gospel of Matthew to the last book, Revelation, declares that Jesus, Who was born in approximately 2 B.C., is this Messiah. The Old Testament promises and predictions concerning the Messiah were given over a vast time period and reveal what He would be like, why He was sent, and what He would accomplish. They (the prophecies concerning Messiah) would tell of His origin, character, works, message, accomplishments, life events (His death, burial and resurrection). The prophecies also tell of the results of His coming and of His future return and reign as King over all the earth. So, it's obvious that the word "Christian" is related to the One called "Christ." When we say one is an "electrician," we know that that person's occupation involves working with electricity. When we talk about "education," we know we are talking about things that pertain to educating (teaching and learning), when we use the word "politician,"(aside from all the negatives associated with that term) we think of one whose service is to the public, to uphold and make laws to do so. So a Christian is intimate with Christ, a learner and follower of Christ, one who aspires to be like Christ, one who serves others like Christ. Basically they are "little Christs."
WHO IS CHRIST AND MISSION IMPOSSIBLE:
So, please hear what I am saying. In order to understand what a Christian is, or should be, we have to understand who Jesus (the Christ) is and what He has already accomplished and what He has in mind for those who follow Him. My final thought for this blog: Jesus Christ is a true man and He is true God. It is humanly impossible to be like God. How or why would anyone think that they could ever be like Him? Be like Jesus Christ? This is an important question and it sets the stage for the main message of this blog.
Hope you continue to walk with me on this journey.
Jay
Jay's Blog
Thanks Barb for editing this.
ReplyDeleteLove you so much,
Jay